Generation Aviation is a new recruitment, awareness, and engagement campaign supported by the Department for Transport (DfT).
Generation Aviation strives to create a workforce ready to deliver the skills required for the future of aviation, as set out in DfT’s Flightpath to the Future strategy. Together the industry will inspire the next generation, and encourage young people and underrepresented groups into aviation by breaking down barriers the barriers to entering into the sector.
As part of this initiative, industry and government will deliver Generation Aviation Week, a sector-wide campaign that includes recruitment campaigns, promotional activities, and events with young people to encourage new groups into aviation.
Here’s what’s happening this week and how you can get involved:
Monday 31 October
Monday is launch day, there will be an event to celebrate the start of Generation Aviation Week at the Heathrow Employment and Skills Academy.
There will be keynote speeches from the Minister for Aviation, aviation students, industry, and outreach representatives, as well as a speech to launch the Aerobility ‘Equal Skies’ Charter.
Tuesday 1 November
Talentview Aviation will be running two webinars: one focusing on higher education and the other on further education. Aviation employers are being encouraged to attend to help bridge the gap between the aviation sector and education providers.
Higher education webinar in conjunction with Universities UK
Time: 10:00 – 11:30
This webinar, in conjunction with Universities UK, will showcase the role of universities and graduates in meeting employers’ skills needs with a strong focus on net zero and sustainability.
It will also look at the specific and wider skills needs, encompassing many skills and qualifications outside of specific aviation-focused degrees.
- Chair: Professor Julia Buckingham CBE, chair of the Institute of Cancer Research and former president of Universities UK
- Melissa Kose, emergent talent manager at British Airways
- Lindsey Oliver, managing director at British Business and General Aviation Association (BBGA)
- Lisa Kelly, head of talent and performance at Heathrow Airport
- Sophie Jones, head of international operations and training at Civil Aviation Authority
- James Edmunds, dean of the London Geller College of Hospitality and Tourism
- Professor Richard Curran, head of aviation management at City University London
- Dr Viktoriia Myroniuk, lecturer in aviation and programme leader for MSc Sustainable Air Transport Operations and Planning
- Graham Bolton, vice chair of the British Aviation Group
Further education webinar
Time: 13:30 – 15:00
- Chair: Karen Spencer, principle of Harlow College, Stansted Airport Aviation Academy and Chair APPG (STEM)
- Melissa Kose
- Sophie Jones
- Marc Bailey, chief executive of the British Business and General Aviation Group
- Lindsey Oliver
- Simon Lord, security resource and recruitment manager at London Luton Airport
- Furah Naeem, chair of the BAG Next Gen Group
Wednesday 2 November
Time: 10:00 – 16:00
Careers in Aviation and Aerospace Live.
The event is free to attend, however pre-registration is required.
The event brings together RAeS’s strong industry partnership and thriving network of members, from students and graduates, to experienced professionals and service leaders looking to make their next career move.
Register your place at Careers in Aerospace Live.
Thursday 3 November
The Aviation Skills Recruitment Platform (ASRP), Talentview Aviation (TVA), and the Department for Work and Pension (DWP) are hosting webinars to give people exclusive insights into careers in aviation.
An introduction to aviation: how to get started in the aviation industry
Time: 9:30 – 10:30
Hear from employers and young people working in the industry about opportunities, routes available, and the best ways to apply. Sign up for this webinar here.
Careers in airports: support for job-seekers looking to work in aviation
Time: 11:00 – 12:00
Aviation companies are actively recruiting now. ASRP and UK aviation employers will be offering support and advice on the different roles available and how they can help with your career change. You can watch the webinar live here.
The after-50 career change: opportunities in the aviation industry
Time: 14:00 – 15:00
Hear how ASRP and aviation employers can support you in finding a new job. From the top tips for transitioning into a new career to what it’s like to change careers from employers, it will be in this webinar. Register for the webinar here.
For more information about these webinars, click here.
There will also be an Aviation Ambassadors Q&A Panel for students at the University of West London.
Friday 4 November
Wrapping up Generation Aviation Week, Friday has a theme of diversity and inclusion.
There will be a webinar featuring influential people in the aviation industry, making it known that aviation is ‘open for business’ and everyone is welcome.
Diversity and Inclusivity Webinar
Time: 10:00 – 12:00