The scholarships aim to give students the opportunity to kick start their flying career. The scholarship involves several steps, all designed to gives students an insight to flying, the recruitment processes used by British Airways and ultimately the chance to pilot a glider solo.
This unique two-week training scholarship includes:
- All your flying fees which equates to approximately 35-40 flights
- Membership fees for the gliding club
- Travel to and from the scholarship location
- Accommodation for the duration of the scholarship
- Food allowance for the duration of the scholarship
- The Air League Trust membership for a year. If you study hard throughout your scholarship and the weather is kind, you should reach solo standard within this course. Your Air League membership then opens up the opportunity to get involved in numerous aviation activities to help you develop your career path including the opportunity to apply for a further scholarship or bursary. All students who are successful in being selected for the scholarship will also be offered a work experience placement within British Airways. There are specific requirements so please check the job description attachment for applicant requirements on the British Airways webpage.
Who can apply
The Gliding to Solo Scholarship is aimed at full time students in communities local to British Airways bases across the UK, either at school or college (not university).
To apply, you must:
- Have a valid passport
- Be aged 16 or above
- Attend a school or college based in one our local community as outlined on the job description
For more information see the document below: